As part of our Italian-Chinese fusion meal served as a proper Italian meal infused with Chinese ingredients, I made risotto flavored gently of the East.
- 4 cups gelatinous chicken stock
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 2 cups Chinese rice wine
- 2 cups chopped scallion whites
- 1/2 cup toasted sesame oil
- white and black sesame seeds
- Heat sesame oil in a large pot
- In a separate pot, warm the chicken stock
- Add the rice to the oil, stirring for 1-2 minutes, then add the scallions, stir together well and toast for 5 minutes
- Add the wine and a pinch of salt, and cook on medium heat until the liquid is mostly absorbed
- Cook the rice on simmer, uncovered, adding 1 cup of warm broth at a time, and adding more when the liquid is mostly absorbed
- Taste the rice for consistency; it should be just soft as you’re letting the last cup of stock cook in
- The Risotto is done when there is still a little liquid around the rice
- Serve with black and white sesame seeds on top
- Although the sesame flavor is beautiful and subtle, I fully admit to topping the leftover risotto with the Peking Duck sauce.