For this course I wanted to replicate a classic flavor combination but as a baby food. I went with chicken pot pie so that I could create pureed layers out of something traditionally more stirred together.
- 2 lbs potatoes
- 1 lb carrots
- 1 lb peas
- 1 cup bone broth (in my case homemade)
- 4 TB shmaltz
- 3 cups cream
- 1 stick butter
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- salt and pepper to taste
- Clean and separately boil all of the vegetables until very soft
- Make purees. Amounts are all estimates and the goal should be to puree until smooth but thick. Use a food processor and let it go for a long time and try not to add extra liquid.
- Carrots plus 1 cup cream
- Peas plus 1/2 cup cream and most of the butter
- Potatoes plus 1 cup cream, then separate into 2 batches
- One gets the rest of the cream and a bit of butter
- One gets the bone broth and schmaltz
- Spoon purees into mason jars or cleaned food jars. After each layer, gently knock the jar on a cutting board to even the puree out, and use a moist paper towel to clean the upper sections of jar so that the layers are separated.
- Cut out rounds of puff pastry and bake at 350 until golden brown
- Microwave the jars to reheat the purees if necessary — don’t put glass in the oven because it can break
- Top each jar with a puff lid
- Serve with baby spoons